Timezone : GMT +08:00
Currency: Ringgit Malaysia (RM or MYR)
The easiest way to go to Pulau Langkawi is by flight. There’s plenty of direct flight from various places either within Malaysia or outside. Just look for Air Asia, Malaysia Airlines, Malindo or Fireflyz. Pulau Langkawi is also accessible via boat. From Langkawi, you can also hop onto Langkawi ferry or a boat from Telaga Harbour to go to Koh Lipe, Thailand.
From the airport, there’s a lot of taxi which you can buy ticket from the counter. Rate is quite cheap but can’t really remember how much.
There are few places which are quite famous among tourist, such as Pantai Cenang (near the beach) or Kuah (city). For this trip we stayed at Bayview Hotel, Kuah (should have stayed in Cenang since we drive day everyday!). The hotel is quite nice and location is good (for Kuah area). A lot of shops and restaurants nearby within walking distance.
Image source: https://www.bayviewhotels.com/destination/langkawi/
Rented a car during our Langkawi trip. Since we went there in July (not school holiday), price is quite cheap, traffic is good and easy to find parking. So I would recommend for you to rent a car. However if you are there during school holiday, finding a parking spot might be an issue so you can opt for hiring a driver.
- Underwater World Langkawi – A popular place to visit among tourist (especially those with kids). Last time I was here (before the current one in 2018) was in 1996! Still enjoy looking at the fishes especially the really big one! The penguin was also quite entertaining! Ticket price: Adult RM46 or RM36 (with MyKad), Children 3-12 years old RM36 or RM26 (with MyKad), special rate for senior citizen 5o years and above RM29 (with MyKad), Government rate RM29 for adult and RM21 for children (with Government ID)
- Langkawi Wildlife Park – Love this place the most! It is an indoor park so its not hot and you can even go there during rainy days. You can even feed the animals (love the deers!) by purchasing a food pack (a pack of different types of food for different types of animals) but make sure to read the signs properly before feeding the animals as different animal need to be feed with different type of food accordingly. Went there during my birthday so I got a free ticket! Just make sure to check this place out on google and who knows there’s a promo running (that’s how I discover the free birthday treat promo). Ticket price: Adult RM39 or RM24 (with MyKad), Children 3-12 years old RM22 or RM16 (with MyKad), special rate for senior citizen 5o years and above RM22 or RM16 (with MyKad). There also family package (please refer to their official website)
- Crocodile Adventureland Langkawi – requested by 3 years old son (and keep on requesting to see the crocodile until now!). Here you can see different species of crocodile! Ticket price: Adult RM25 or RM18 (with MyKad), Children 3-12 years old RM18 or RM12 (with MyKad), special rate for senior citizen 5o years and above RM12 (with MyKad). There also combo package (please refer to their official website)
- Dataran Lang – Popular photo spot featuring a huge eagle statue perched over a scenic waterfront plaza.
Image source: WikiPedia
- Telaga Harbour – Marina for regional sightseeing & island transfer boats, including a shuttle to Koh Lipe, Thailand.
- Oriental Village – At the foothills of Mt. Machincang, lies the Oriental Village with more than 50 activities & adventure providers; F&B outlets, souvenir & retail stores, galleries and spas, the Oriental Village offers a quality day-out of fun, adventure, shopping at one location! You could also ride the Langkawi Cable car from here, which is the must visit hotspot on the island.
- Panorama Langkawi CkyCab – also known as Langkawi Cable Car and it is not only about the car ride. There’s also lots of other attractions and activities such as SkyRex, SkyDome, SkyBridge, SkyGlide, SkyTrail and more. Visit their website for more details.
- Cenang Beach – The most famous beach in Langkawi. A place to chill, swim, eat & shop!
- Island hopping – Langkawi is famous for island hopping. You may also refer to my previous post on Langkawi. CLICK HERE
Langkawi is famous for cheap international brand chocolates, cigarette & alcohol. You can also get cheap sarong/pelikat & minyak gamat there as well. Here are some famous shops that can go to to spend your money!
- The Zon Duty Free – located next to Underwater World Langkawi
- HIG Mall – must visit! A big mall with connecting HIG Hotel (by the way HIG stands for Haji Ismail Group. Seems that other than the smaller shop, they also have a mall!)
- Perniagaan Haji Ismail Group
- Teow Soon Huat Duty Free
- Langkawi Parade
- Langkawi Fair Shopping Mall
- Langkawi Saga Shopping Mall
- Cenang Mall
- The Cliff Restaurat – Fancy restaurant overlooking Cenang beach
- Yellow Beach cafe – good place to watch sunset on Cenang beach
- Nasi Dagang Pak Malau – local breakfast with paddy field view
- Restaurant Seashells – enjoy your food with paddy field view…opposite the beach! Even saw a buffalo when I was there.
- Night market – there are few night market. Went the on in Kuah and ate a very big portion of nasi kandar!
- Aseania dinner & show
- Orkid Ria Seafood Restaurant
- Wan Thai
Read my previous post on Langkawi: Island Getaway – Pulau Langkawi 2012