Went to Medan, Indonesia for a short holiday with beloved family.
Timezone : UTC+07:00
Currency: Indonesian Rupiah (IDR)
Visa: Not required for Malaysian
Went there by Air Asia. Manage to buy a reallyyyy cheap return ticket during promotion. Only RM110 for a return ticket!! Previously planes will land and depart form Polonia Airport but now they have changed to a new & bigger airport, Kualanamu International Airport. However this airport is a bit further from the city compared to previous airport. I didn’t know there’s an airport departure tax that need to be paid before leaving but lucky they accept RM!! So if you want to go to Medan, make sure you save 75,000 Rupiah for the airport departure tax and not spend all of your money for shopping! 😛
Stayed at Grand Sakura Hotel. Booked a room from Agoda.com at a very reasonable price. Actually I have booked a deluxe room but they are nice enough to upgrade my stay to an executive room for FREE!! Thank you!! The room is quite big but too bad I didn’t get wifi inside my room, so I just sit on the floor outside my room 😛 Breakfast is included. The food they served are all HALAL. There’s not much of a choice for breakfast but as long as there’s food, I don’t really mind. If breakfast is not included when you do the booking, it is OK. Just pay 35,000 rupiah and you can enjoy all the food. It’s really cheap!! Location of the hotel is ok but not good. You need to get a taxi or just ask from the counter for a driver to send you to wherever you want to go. Other hotels which was recommended would be Madani Hotel (because of the location i guess) and Garuda Plaza Hotel. Here are some photos but I got it from their website instead of taking it myself 😛
Paid ‘supir’ or driver to go places around Medan when we were there but he is a VERY lousy driver & it is NOT cheap to hire him! He was recommended by someone we knew, who is originally from there so that is why we still paid him for the rest of our stay there. I will not put up his contact here because I WILL NOT recommend him to anybody! The hotel we stayed in provided car rental + driver service. I guess other hotels also provide this service so you may ask the counter if you do not have any contact to drive you around town. You can see the rate for a car+petrol+driver provided by Grand Sakura Hotel (it’s around half of what we paid for!) in the picture below.
- Pasar Ikan – ‘Pasar Ikan’ means fish market. However they DO NOT sell fish! 😛 You can find lots of fabrics, souvenirs, clothing, hijab, telekung (for Muslim) & a lot of other things here. The only problem we encounter was there are sellers following us everywhere we go & try to sell us things that we do not need. It is really annoying & uncomfortable so we only spend quite a short time there
- Ramayana – A few level shopping mall with cheap stuff. Really cheap!
- Medan Mall – This is an air-conditioned shopping mall but also connected with a market which sells fruits, vegetable, fabrics, clothings, etc. Went here several times (since we are not so sure where to go..plus the tour guide & driver that we had..hmmm). There’s also a place to eat halal food; KFC & Es Teler 77 (try the es nangka. love it!) There’s also a department store inside which is called Matahari (which means sun in English). Price are quite cheap especially those that was on sale. The colourful wedges below is only around RM15 after 75% discount!
- Pasar Petisah – A market that sells a lot of clothing, fabrics, shoes, etc.
- Sun Plaza – a modern & big shopping mall!
- Bakery – If you are in Medan, make sure to buy the layer cake. It’s damn delicious & cheap!!
Oldest Mosque in Medan
You may also go to Lake Toba (do spend a night there) or Brastagi.
Do try the Nasi Padang (I’ve tried Restoran Garuda). It’s awesome especially the SAMBAL! I ate a lot & I mean A LOTTT of sambal! 😛
If you go to Es Teler 77, try the Es Nangka. I LOVE IT! It’s just ice with condense milk & jackfruit but it taste awesome!